Friday, July 18, 2008

Murder Mystery Dinner

I have been meaning to post about this forever but never got around to it until now. Chris's calling in our ward is "Scout Commitee Finance Chairman something or other" and so he was in charge of the single fundraiser that the Scouts would be doing this year to earn their money for Scout camp. We had been to a fun Murder Mystery Dinner at our neighbor's house (thanks Pete and Sandy for being our inspiration) and thought it would be a fun way to get everyone involved. Little did we know how much time and effort it would require. The Monday before the dinner Chris worked from 9 am to 11 pm on nothing else. And that was after he had made sign up sheets, announcements... You get the idea. It was a lot of work. But in the end it all paid off.
We had pulled pork and a big potato bar (Thank you, Taylor Produce for donating the 'taters) with Texas Fudge Brownies for dessert. Yum! The Scouts had to help set up, clear plates, refill pitchers of punch and clean up. This was a challenge. Getting teenage boys to do about a million dishes by hand was...interesting. At one point I tied one of the boys to the cupboards around him. It was pretty funny. All the other boys were taking pictures of him with their cell phones Ü.
Chris chose a mystery that was set in the Old West because we figured it would be easier to find those kind of costumes then anything else. There were 24 main characters so he gave one character to each couple and had the spouses support each other. It worked really well. Some of the supporting people were more into it than the actual characters Ü. The night ended great although at the end we forgot to talk about who achieved their goals and how. I'm told that Lindsey still thinks she had the real maps even though they were fake. Here are a bunch of pictures but I'm not going to do commentary. Thanks again to everyone who came to support our boy scouts. We're looking forward to next year!














9 comments:

Linzy said...

Great pics! Who was the photographer?!?! I thought I heard your voice outside the other night, but I thought, No they aren't home. But you were I guess. Sorry about all the truck trouble. Glad you made it back safe.

Brat said...

I love how you got so many people to actually dress up. That always makes it so much more interesting and fun. Good job Dobson's.

Emily Youngdell said...

Jake was pleasantly surprised to see a comment from you. He said to me, "Tara left me a comment!" and I said, "Tara is sweet like that." He wants to put your name on his link list now if you don't mind.
I think it would be great if Chris started a blog. I guarantee his would be entertaining. (I still laugh about that comment he left about Edward being gay on your blog). Actually, I really like that a lot of guys have blogs now. It's nice to see their perspective on things.

dlkenney said...

very cute idea, I love those mystery dinners. Randy is also on the scout committee, but our bishopric wont allow fundraisers, Randy has tried many different ideas and they have turned them all down.

Tammi said...

-Ah man! That looks like it was so much fun! I totally wanted to go to that but we were on vacation! Next year...right, your doing that next year..hint hint.

Anonymous said...

So I was @ the 12:20 showing of Batman. We got in right when it was starting though and sat 3 rows behind all you guys. And when I say we, i mean me and my date...Anthony!! Bow..chick..aa..bow....wow!!

Val said...

You got some great picts there! WE were sad we missed out on it. :(

Jess said...

This looks like so much fun! I'm sad we missed it.

Shian said...

That looks like so much fun! I remember you guys planning if, but I now that I think about it, I don't think you told me much about it.