Saturday, January 10, 2009

Kitchen Gadgets


Today, I was very domestic. I cleaned the house top to bottom (wasn't too hard since it wasn't very dirty). I did some laundry. I made a yummy beef stroganoff from my new Betty Crocker recipe book. But my biggest accomplishment today was... I made bread. I used our food storage and our new wheat grinders that we got just before our ward split (I used both the electric and hand grinders just because I wanted to test them out).
They worked great! After I had ground the wheat I used my Vita-Mix to make the dough and voila! Hot and yummy bread. Truthfully, it was lacking a little bit in flavor until we added the butter, but it was homemade and healthy. Ü


Now, some of you might be asking, "what is a Vita-Mix?" It is a fabulous blender/grinder/food processor/hot chocolate maker/bread dough maker.
I got it the day after Black Friday as an early Christmas present. We were up at my parents house and while the boys went shooting, we girls ran into Sam's Club. As we were walking around we saw a display where a lady was doing demonstrations. We stood and watched her for, I kid you not, over an hour. She made us salsa, soup, ice cream, smoothies and peanut butter. It was amazing. And the cleanup only took about 30 seconds. I think my mouth was hanging open most of the time. So, when we got back to the house we told our husbands all about it. After just a little bit of discussion, we went back to the store and my mom and I both got one. Woohoo! I must admit that I mostly use it for smoothies
but I have made salsa, peanut butter, a V8 type drink, and now bread. It is such a great machine. I could go on and on but I already sound like an infomercial so I'll stop. Ü I love it, though.

Now, when I sat down to write this post I checked a few blogs first. I found out that Kristen also made bread with her wheat grinders and food storage and she blogged about it today, too. Her story is a bit more interesting but I found it funny that we both blogged about it today. Ü


On a side note, Chris and I did another puzzle the other night. I really like doing this with him. We get to spend quality time together and just enjoy each others company. Some of you might think that all we do is spend time together, (Shian and Robyn, I'm talking to you...) but really, it's different when we're working then when we're home and relaxed. Chris had the crazy idea to do the puzzle without looking at the picture. It was really hard (mainly because there are all sorts of little pictures randomly put together) but we managed it in the end. Here is our finished project. While we worked on it we watched The Lion King and Monty Python's Search for the Holy Grail. I love movies that I know well enough to quote the entire time.What movies do you know by heart?

8 comments:

Caprene said...

I love puzzles too. Did you really do it without looking at the picture? Never in my life! That is really, really impressive.
(oh, and I can still quote Condorman, The Neverending Story, um, I'm sure there are others - basically, movies from my childhood are pretty much ingrained in my noggin.)

dlkenney said...

We are puzzle funs also... my son and I spent all weekend working on a 1000 piece puzzle and we finished it this morning.

Stephenson and Katie said...

I want a vita-mix now! You should become a spokes-woman for them :) I need to try a vita-mix smoothie- you guys should have a smoothie/puzzle party!

Camey said...

I love, love the puzzle! You also need to tell me where you get the wheat and grinders. Adding to our food storage is one of our goals. We are doing small, but I want to save up for those items. Let me know!!

Camey said...

I forgot to say how homemaker of you to do all you did!

Amy said...

I love Vitamix. So much. And I swear they watch for when we'll be at Costco just so they'll be doing their display thing when we're there. Did you know you can just through an entire carrot, tomato, and apple into that thing? Greens, core, seeds, ALL of it. And it's SOOOO good. Yes, that's right. And for just 9 easy payments.....

Sigh. I want it.

PS Your husband is EVIL! If only I'd been so intelligent when I was young....

Deliliah said...

How was mixing the bread dough in your vita-mix? Was it hard to get the dough out of the bottom? Did it was up real easy? The bread looks good. Maybe I'll try it.

The Goffs said...

That is seriously impressive...I just can't seem to find the ambition. Good for you! We'll come to your place if we are going to die from lack of food storage :)