Saturday, December 27, 2008

Christmas Part Two


On Christmas Day, Chris and I got to sleep in a bit. It was wonderful. I remember the days when I would wake up at 5:00 am with my brother and sisters and we would be anxiously awaiting the time when we could start jumping off of the top bunk bed to wake our parents up who were sleeping down below. Now, I am anxiously trying to go back to sleep to get just a few more minutes of rest. My how life changes. Ü

After having a delicious breakfast (Chris is an excellent cook) we headed up to my parents house. We had been a little concerned that 'Nara wouldn't be feeling well enough to go and we didn't want to leave her alone on Christmas Day. Luckily, she was a tough girl and came with us. When we got there we jumped right in to our stockings and presents. My sister Shian gave me my favorite present of the year (even beating out the sweater that Chris gave me that I want to wear ALL the time)! She made me this blanket. In case you can't see it clearly, it is a nativity. She embroidered (is that the term?) all the white squares. Baby Jesus, Mary, a camel, an angel.... It is amazing. Then Tom's mom (who is a major quilter) put it together and Shian did the binding. She started it in September. Wow! I am so impressed with her. Thanks, Banana. I love it and you. Ü
*** I must make a correction. Shian actually chose the fabric, cut it, and pieced the quilt herself. Tom's mom used her machine to do the actual quilting, but Shian did just about everything. I'm so proud of her. ***

While out shopping with his sister a few days before, Chris came across a big dinosaur that he thought Gavin would love. He was right. At one point I heard Gav whisper to his T-Rex, "I love you." It was so cute.It's good to know that Chris and 'Nara almost got kicked out of a Toys R Us for a good cause (seriously, Chris called me while they were at the toy store and they were being crazy. I love them when they get together. I think they both revert back to middle-schoolers Ü).

Santa knew that we were going up to my parents house and so he delivered a special gift just for Chris. If you remember when Chris blogged about going elk hunting with my dad, he mentioned that he had lost his Pocahontas Barbie. Well, Santa got him a new one. Pocahontas Gone Wild! For ages 30 and up. Now many of you are thinking that I was this secret Santa. Nope. It was Ryan. Well done. It was hilarious when he opened it. Ü I also really liked when Dad got his Iron Man mask and gloves (very cool) and when Gordon received his "American Eagle" pants. He got some great clothes this year.

In the afternoon, Chris helped shovel the driveway with the other sons-in-law. But there weren't enough shovels so he had to use one of his Barbie's purple lounge chairs. I think it made a big impact on the snow.

Later that day some of us went caroling. It was snowing really hard and the specific people we were going to carol for weren't home. So instead, we just walked around a few blocks in snow past our ankles and sang as loud as we could. It was so much fun. It was very cold and very windy (as our entire week seemed to be) and so we were extremely bundled up. For the most part only our faces were visible. This proved to tragic for our makeup and hair. When we got home we looked like this...
>Yikes! Shian even had mascara on her nose. Ü Mom washed hers off before we could get a picture and (lucky for them) Gordon and Gavin didn't have any makeup on. Once we got home I was feeling really child-like so I played in the snow for a bit longer.

When it was time for bed it took Chris and 'Nara quite a while to fall asleep. Since we were all in the same room (sleeping on some comfortable cots, I might add) those two started joking around and sending text messages to each other. Like I said, middle-schoolers. I fell asleep to the sound of their whispers, "I won!"

The day after Christmas we went to the Hardware Ranch for a sleigh ride through the elk herd that comes to winter there every year. It was a fun experience although shorter than I thought it would be. Here are a bunch of pictures from the drive up and the Ranch.






Robyn and Gordon

Mom and Dad

Shian, Tom and Gavin

Mom and Dad

Chris, me and 'Nara in front of the horses that pulled our sleigh. The one on the left was named Clif (just like my brother) and he was scared of people. Whenever we would get too close his legs would just shake and shake like he was cold. It was really cute (just like my brother, again Ü)

Unfortunately, after the Ranch, we had to hurry back to Mom and Dad's, pack up our stuff and head home. Chris was having an X-box party later that night. The drive took twice as long as normal because of all the snow. But in the end we made it safe and sound.

It was such a great Christmas season. I love getting to spend so much time with family. I love the way everyone is especially nice to everyone else. I love our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. I am so grateful we get to celebrate His birth every year.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Sounds like so much fun! And I love the pictures. :)

Shian said...

Yes, those blocks are embroidered. But I have to correct you on one thing. I chose the fabric, cut it, and pieced that quilt myself. Tom's mom used her machine to do the actual quilting, but I did the rest all by myself. (I'm quite proud of that). I was going to attempt the quilting machine as well, but she suggested I try quilting something else (like scrap fabric, I'm assuming) first.

Camey said...

How fun! I love everything you guys did. I hate missing out on all the fun, but loving being in WA at the same time. I am always torn! I love the part about Clif- when I read that the horse was scared of people, we both said" Just like Clif."

Shian said...

Thank you. Now I feel better.

Deliliah said...

Christmas was so much fun. I am glad that I got my running makeup washed off before you got a picture to post of me. I'm glad you liked the quilt. It was fun to watch Shian do it. She even did the binding.