Basically you go to Vernal, turn north, go until the pavement ends, keep going, keep going, keep going, park the jeep, move to 4 wheeler, go until the trail becomes impassable, keep going, keep going, go through the stream a few times, up the mud hill (hopefully it will be frozen enough) and then just past the monument to all those who have died during this same trek, is the main camp. Oh and wear bright orange because there are a few inexperienced hunters who may shoot anything that moves. Because of work, I can only go up for the weekend. Dad meets me at the jeep with a 4 wheeler and takes me in. I have to ride on the back with my gear, but last year it wasn't so bad because dad brought a full size Laz-E-Boy strapped to the rack of the 4 wheeler for me to ride in comfort in. This year he pulls up and strapped to the rack on the back was a flimsy 1/4 inch thick piece of.....well I guess you call it padding. Since the trail is nothing but holes and rocks I looked a little anxious. Dad, upon seeing my doubt, got a big smile on his face and said, "hop on number three!!!!" This was going to be a long weekend. I arrived in camp feeling like I had just completed the Tour de France on a bicycle with a wooden seat.
I think Dad traded in that Laz-E-Boy for a new tent with a stove. As sore as I was, it was a good trade. The next few days were a blast. We sat in blinds and hiked.
I had seen some moose that were hanging around the area, but had heard there was a BIG bull moose too. Anyone that knows Tara knows how she LOVES moose. I was hoping to get a picture of this "BIG bull moose" but wasn't having any luck finding him. It is kind of a big mountain range. I did find the calf and younger bull. But I wanted a trophy shot.
On Sunday, near the end of my day, I got my chance. Uncle Tony came to camp and told us he had just seen the BIG BULL along with the cow and calf up on the ridge. Dad and I took off to see if we could find them. The brush was thick and it was hard to see anything. (If you are trying to take wildlife pictures in heavy brush it really can suck because your camera wants to focus on the myriad levels of brush between you and the animal rather than the animal. My camera did survive though and has since forgiven me for the unkind words directed towards it.) After a while I didn't think we would find the BIG BULL, but then through the brush I saw....
Now, I admit, I was excited. This Bull was MASSIVE!! The rack seemed almost 50 inches across and he stood over 6 maybe 7 feet. This was a big Bull. The tightrope I had to walk was trying to get a good picture in heavy brush, while at the same time keeping enough heavy brush between us to give me a fighting chance should he charge. This task was even harder given that the mamma moose was also there with her calf.
While Daddy Moose got bored and started to chew bark, Mamma was not too happy with our company.
I wanted my shot. I wanted a good clear shot of BIG DADDY BULL MOOSE, but he didn't seem to care about posing for me. This is why I like my Barbies. I got a few decent shots, but again my #%$@% camera thought that perhaps I would prefer the lovely tree branches rather than some silly moose so the focus is a little off.
After about 40 pictures and 2 videos I was ready to go. I put the lens cover on my camera and Dad holstered his .457 elephant killer gun (see video of Robyn shooting at end of blog...hilarious stuff!!!) I was so touched that Dad was concerned for his number one son-in-law's safety that he was prepared to kill such a majestic creature if it charged. He informed me that since it is NOT moose season he would only be allowed to shoot in self defense, no clause provided for defense of number three son-in-law. I am glad I stayed in the brush. Well that was my weekend. I included some of my favorite pictures that I took here at the end. Unfortunately I didn't take near as many as I would have liked, but on the elk hunt you would look more manly whipping out a Malibu Barbie in full beach gear, than a camera. (Unless the camera is in the form of a scope attached to a rifle) Trust me I know. Anyways, thanks Dad for taking me on the hunt again this year. I look forward to next year, I will bring my own Laz-E-Boy this time. P.S. Can you check in your truck, I can't find Pocahontas Barbie anywhere!!!! :)
Coming home through Heber I saw the most awesome clouds cutting across the Wasatch Front This is the funniest thing I have seen. Feel free to post comments and share your thoughts on the Elk Hunt, my photography skills, Robyn's shooting skills, and Barbie's Fall Fashion Line.

16 comments:
Chris, you did a great job on your first post. SO manly! I love how hard you laugh everytime you watch the video of Robyn. It makes me smile. And, I'm sure that Dad has moved you back to #1 son-in-law since you got that picture of him towing Uncle Tony's 4-wheeler. Ü Love you.
Wow, you should take shooting lessons from me. Too bad you didn't get my first shot. That one really knocked me back.
Very funny post. Good job, Chris.
Chris, this is Tara's friend Emily. Please start a blog. It would be so entertaining.
Chris, You are a very talented writer. I really enjoyed this post. I agree with Emily, you should start your own blog. Way to go Robyn, that looked like a blast of fun.
Holy Crap!! Dang Chris, when I said you need to blog I would have never imagined such a work of art...its a masterpiece. Nice job. My guess is after this you will be addicted and we will see more posts from Chris. I love the picture of the moose. Great shot.
Chris, don't worry about what others say, this is a good try at your first blog! And don't be too hard on yourself, you'll get the hang of it. It just takes practice! Don't give up, and you'll get better and better each time you post. :o)
OK Chris - that video is not the funniest thing. You are! I was laughing the whole way through your post - nice work. Have you studied creative writing or what? Or is this how you stay awake in the truck - thinking up entertaining ways to share stories? However you do it, I like it. Keep 'um coming.
Zzzzz.....Oh my bad. Bobby light here. The first half of the post was awesome. I decided to put page numbers and bind it after I realized it would take me more than two hours to read it. Just messing dirty girl! It was pretty darn funny, but what else could be expected from Uncle Jerry. Anyway, I thought I would drop a line before I get another text threatening to throw your num chucks at me. Love ya'll.
- AC UNIT
Chris- I do agree with everyone here.. you should start your own blog. You might be able to make 10s of thousands a month with advertising. If you can't find your Pocahontas Barbie- I've got you covered. Ryan has an extra. ;)
Great job, Chris! That wasn't so bad, was it? You had us laughing out loud. I don't think I could get Tom to post anything though, so I won't harass you if you wait a while to write again. It was very manly. You may have convinced Tom to try it next year. He couldn't bear to miss Barbie's fall line either.
Well # 1 you sure have a knack for great story telling. I enjoyed it every bit. Your pictures are great. I didn't get to see Robyn shooting the gun up camping on Labor day,so I'm glad you included that. I'm sorry it took me so long to look at it. Great Job.
Oh I forgot, I heard that next years fall accessories for Barbie with include a La-zee boy four wheeler in camo.
That was a mostly true story. Chris only cried for Tara a little while at bedtime. Glad you could come up. Maybe we can get the other kids up sometime.
Here I left my comment in a box for you!!! ;)
if you tell everyone about our elk hunting spot you'll quickly become number four :)
very nice blog tho
I'm holding Pocahontas Barbie hostage. If you reveal the location of "Tonytown" you will never see her again.
Post a Comment