Sunday, May 23, 2010

San Diego

We went to San Diego for 'Nara's wedding (it was so wonderful!) and got to spend a few extra days out there. We left on Wednesday April 7th and didn't have to come home until Monday. We flew out with Chris's brother Alex, his wife Lacey and their daughter Cambria who is just a delight.

Our first evening we were there we walked over to the beach and on our way we got to see a lady walking her cat.
This beach access was all stairs though. Too difficult for a stroller so we decided to eat first then go back to a different beach.

We went to Chevy's Fresh Mex for dinner. It was so delicious. I love Chevy's for many reasons but most importantly it has yummy food and I met my husband at Chevy's when I started working there. I'll have to do another post dedicated to all the good food we had on our trip because otherwise this one would be too long. Ü

After dinner we did go to the beach again and watched the sunset. It was beautiful.

While there, we saw a cute couple getting their engagement pictures taken. It was fun to watch them.

On Thursday we went for a hike in Torrey Pines State Park. It was beautiful. We had our very own "Lewis and Clark" moment of seeing the ocean. Ü




And we enjoyed wading in the water.




Thursday evening we all met up with 'Nara and went to the Mormon Battalion Historic Site in Old Town San Diego where 'Nara served part of her mission. We went on the tour which was very entertaining and educational. I highly recommend it for any family going to visit. Chris was "volunteered" by his sister to be dressed up as a soldier from the battalion days. He looked pretty good.





There was a fabulous candy shop in Old Town that we stopped at. Mmmm. Candy!


After our candy Chris, 'Nara and I went to dinner at a Casa Guadalajara (see food post Ü) and enjoyed some quality family time with our sister before she was swept away by Charlie.

On Friday and Saturday we enjoyed all the wedding fun! We're still so happy for 'Nara and Charlie! Some things I enjoyed were: eating at california Pizza for the first time; watching Scot pick on Em during the wedding luncheon;


somehow getting all the kids in the hot tub fully clothed (I'm sure Arnie and Kathy were so happy with me Ü);


and Jule matching the flowers.


On Sunday one of Chris's brothers had to leave for home with his family. Michael's daughter Lynette was so adorable about her luggage. She wouldn't let her parents pull it. It was hers and she always called it "luggage", never a bag. She would say "I need to get my luggage" and it would melt my heart. Oh, she was precious.



Arnie, Kathy and the kids also left but they were heading to Disneyland. Lucky! But before they left we went to the beach again.

It was cold. I'm not gonna lie. But Lacey convinced me to get in the water with her. I agreed but I told her "If I go I'm running into the water. None of this dipping my toe in. I'm going full force." Here are the results of that:


As you can see... I biffed it big time. Unbeknownst to us, the sand turned to rock very abruptly just past the water line. I really bruised my foot and was limping for almost two weeks after that but it was totally worth it. Once we got past our shock (and the numbness set in) we had a great time!


I managed to convince everyone that we should go to Chevy's again for dinner. How I love that place. I asked for dough balls for all the kids to play with but I think I enjoyed mine the best. Chris looks a little out of it in this picture but I assure you that he enjoyed his food, too.


Cambria decided to have my Tigger for dinner instead of Mexican.


On Sunday night we drove to La Jolla and watched some massive waves crashing into the rocks and in general just enjoyed the ocean.


Sadly, we flew home Monday morning but before we left we went back to La Jolla and watched the seals and pelicans for a while.


I really enjoyed my time in San Diego. While I could never live there myself (too crowded) I can see the reason so many people do. The weather was amazing the entire time. In fact I only got cold once. It was when we were driving home one evening from Charlie's parents house and we didn't want to put the roof up. Oh, did I forget to mention that?

Chris rented a convertible for us and I loved it. It was a beautiful thing to have the wind in my hair while we drove past the ocean views on our way to spend time with family. Life doesn't get better than that. OK, so that's a lie. I think my life here at home is even more perfect! Ü

5 comments:

Emily Youngdell said...

Fun!! I would love to go to San Diego someday I'm glad you guys had such a great trip.
I must say your toes are adorable in your feet picture. I know that sounds weird but today I was putting stickers on my toes and thinking, "I'm sure glad Tara introduced me to this."

Amy said...

Looks awesome!!! So glad you got to go, and maybe a little jealous. :)

Gordon and Robyn said...

What a fun post! I'm so glad that you aren't going to trade your life in here with us because you ♪♪wish you could be a California girl♪♪ (Beach Boys reference)

Gordon and Robyn said...

You loook so cute in the pictures, especially the ones from the first day.

Gordon and Robyn said...

Lewis and Clark or was that a Chris and Crew moment? Beautiful sunset and beach. Cambria is so cute. I've never heard of someone walking the cat, that was interesting to see. your Many greatgrandfather 5 or 6 or so was in the Mormon Battalion. His name is on the the list inside the visitor center. I took a picture of it when I was there with Grandma Roberts. He was on her mothers side. His name was Sanders I think. I better do more geneolgy.