(We need to get a new family picture since we've added two new little ones the family and have two more on the way.)So my sister Camey wrote a post about traditions and wanting to start doing more of them. She then asked us to tell her about some of the traditions we remembered from our childhood. I wrote a ridiculously long answer because once I start thinking about all the wonderful things from my childhood I just can't stop. Here is my answer to her question...
I agree with Shian about the special night with Mom and Dad when the other kids had to go to sleep and we got to stay up "late".
I also loved going camping around Easter.
For a good long while we would always make cookies on Sunday and watch the "Sunday Night Movie" which was usually a Disney or Anne of Green Gables type family film.
A weird one that we did was Dad would have this long plastic tubing that we would wind around the house and then run colored water through and follow it as it went. I know it isn't making much sense as I write it but if you ask Clif he can explain it better.
When we lived in Vegas Dad would take us on individual date days. I went out to the desert and we rode around on the 4-wheeler. It was a blast.
At Christmas all of us kids would sleep in one bedroom and then in the morning we would jump off the top bunk in order to wake up Mom and Dad to go open presents. (There are a bunch of Christmas ones that I bet you're starting to learn. Ü)
On a slightly different note, I also remember that about once a year Mom would make us take down the blinds in the house and wash them, wash out the garbage cans and do other types of cleaning. I guess you could call it a tradition because we did it every year. While I didn't enjoy it at the time I look back now with profound appreciation because it has made me a "clean" person in my grown-up years. I haven't as yet washed my blinds (they are in desperate need...) but I do routinely wash out my garbage cans. Ü
Holy cow I've written a lot. Thanks for the walk down memory lane.
As you can see, I just get going and could probably ramble on for hours. I have been so blessed with my family and childhood memories. I can't wait until I have kids to pass these traditions on to and start a bunch of new ones. What are some of your family traditions?

4 comments:
You have good traditions! I think we may need to clean the blinds......I always make Josh wash my garbage cans. Eeeewwww! :D
I forgot about the tubing stuff. I think it was medical tubing for something, IV's maybe? If I remember correctly, Tom got it for us. Now there's something Gav would enjoy.
Nice! I think Jake and his siblings slept in one room the night before Christmas too. I never did.
I would like to have the tradition of washing out my trash cans, they are gross!
Going on a vacation once a year with your favorite group of friends. You are the planners what do you have planned for next year? Loving you!
Post a Comment