Monday, April 5, 2010

Cozumel Part Two


On Tuesday night (after dinner) we went to Carnival. The purpose of Carnival is basically to "let all your crazy out" before Lent. One of the traditions is to dress up as something you're not. There was this adorable little girl dressed up as Snow White who gave me her last bag of marshmallows. She was so precious. I did try to give them back but her dad told me to keep them. Despite what Kirsten said I did not steal them. However, I did win our contest of who could get the most stuff for free. Go me!

During the evening we walked past Senor Frogs (where we had gone the night before) and found that there had been a fire! Holy cow... er... frog! Luckily the place was up and running by Wednesday night. We're not sure how it started but it burnt the Bug and melted the "R" in Senor. It was pretty crazy to think we'd been there the night before. I guess our dancing was just to hot to handle. Ü

On Wednesday we went to Chankanaab National Park.
Our main reason for going here was to swim with the Dolphins. This was one of Kirsten's lifelong dreams and we decided (ok, Dave decided) to make it come true. It was an amazing experience. We went with the deluxe package and so we got to shake hands, get a kiss, get a hug, be towed by the dorsal fin and get a foot push which basically meant they come up beneath you and push against your foot forcing you out of the water. It was totally awesome! What a neat experience even if it was a little creepy seeing these big dark shapes swimming underneath you in the water. Wow. I loved it.

After the swim we were "tricked" into going in a little room to view our videos. We were told it would only take about ten minutes. It was definitely longer than ten minutes. We got a little bored while waiting in there. But we did end up buying the video (one for all of us to share) so I guess it was worth it.

After the dolphin swim we went did some snorkeling and laid on the beach. It was gorgeous and very relaxing. We also took a bunch of pictures. The guys decided to become our paparazzi for a while and took about a million pictures. It was pretty fun.





On Thursday Kirst wasn't feeling well so we had a bit of a lazy day. We hung out at the pool, played some water volleyball, read books, and eventually went shopping.




On Friday we went to Chichen Itza (some very famous ancient Mayan ruins).

We took the ferry over to the mainland and then took a 2 hour ride to the ruins. Our van driver was a little kamikaze but we survived. Ü We had an awesome tour guide (we had hoped to get an LDS guide but there weren't any there) who was able to give us a bit of an LDS view on the ruins. He talked a little quick sometimes but for the most part was very understandable. I'm not going to go in to it all (too much time required) but I highly recommend going to Chichen Itza if you ever get the chance. It was really incredible. Plus, it's one of the Seven Wonders of the World!

There were people selling things all over but we were good and resisted them. That is until I saw this sweet little old lady and had to buy something from her. I couldn't believe how tiny she was!

Our "warriors" next to 2,000 pillars that represent warriors. Hmmm... 2,000 warriors. Where have I heard about something like that?




As we were leaving Chris started doing some bartering. This is us while we waited (forever) for him to finish up. But he did get us some awesome magnets for a great price. Way to go, honey! Ü


On the way home we mixed up the seating a bit so that Chris and I were in the back.

P.S. It was so nice how all of us got along and there was never any fighting about who was sitting where or doing what. I love this group of people.


When we were back on Cozumel we went to dinner for our last night there. We had some yummy food on the balcony at a rooftop restaurant. What a great experience this trip was.


On Saturday we packed up and headed for the airport. Dave and Kirst were lucky and got to spend a few more days in Cancun but the rest of us had to go home. All our flights were close to the same time so Chris took all of us to the shopping area near the ferry while Mal waited at "home". Then Chris and Mal loaded up all our luggage and brought it back with them. We did just a bit more shopping (that's when I decided to get my beautiful green skirt and some vanilla {thanks for the tip, Kirst}) and then we flew home. It was such a fun exciting time and I'm so glad we got to go.

oh, here is a picture of our chef, our room and the view from our balcony. Ü



And now I'm done writing about our trip. I must admit that is a weight off my mind!

5 comments:

Amy said...

Such fun! These pictures are awesome - and any old lady that makes you look like a giant is indeed TINY! :)

Deliliah said...

I'm glad you bought something from the little old lady. You do look like Giants. The trip sounded fun and I'm glad you gotto go.

Shian said...

Looks like so much fun!

Gordon and Robyn said...

I'm glad you guys had so much fun. Maybe someday we can do a sibling trip. maybe. when Gordon and I aren't poor mooching college students anymore.

The Goffs said...

You guys are great!! Thanks for an awesome trip! We're so glad we have rich friends like you :) BTW Chris looks mighty sharp at the wedding. I love the San Diego Temple.