When I was a baby, my mom would put me in a kitchen drawer with a baby blanket that was given to me when I was born. Thus began a long, loving and lasting relationship. My blankie was named Tigger because he had pictures of -you guessed it- Tigger. He was bright orange on the backside and had been tied with bright orange yarn. He and I went everywhere together: camping, slumber parties, Grandma's house. I remember my dad wrapping me up in him before putting me in the car when we would leave someones house late at night. I would have a really hard time falling asleep without him on my pillow. What a sweet blankie.
All of the kids in my family had a favorite blanket but Clif outgrew his first (I think). Eventually, Shian had to put hers in a cedar chest because it was getting holes in it that were too big to fix. Robyn's has been mended several times but is still hanging in there. Tigger (as far as I know) has never needed to be repaired. The reason I find this so impressive is because... I still sleep with him every night. Chris learned before we got married that Tigger and I were a package deal. You can't have one without the other. He took it pretty well. Actually, there have been a few nights when I've had to steal him back from Chris :) Tigger is a little worse for the wear. His bright orange backside is faded to a very pale orange. Every once in a while I'll find little bits of orange yarn in bed that have fallen off. He has a small hole near the edge so I try to be very careful with him these days . When I wash him, I stick him inside a pillow case and tie it shut and I try to do that as little as possible. I no longer take him camping or to Grandma's and I think Tigger misses it almost as much as I do. I don't even take him on the truck with me because I'm afraid he'll get too dirty or torn somehow. But every weekend I get a little thrill of happiness when it's time for bed and I get to snuggle with my two loves: Chris and Tigger.In the pictures I am 6 weeks old and almost 3 (my sister Shian is almost 5).
This post was inspired by my friend Emily who wrote about her blanket last week. I couldn't believe how many people made comments about their blankets growing up. Several of them (including my sister, Robyn) still have theirs, too. I'm glad I'm not the only one out there who's still a little girl deep down inside :)

11 comments:
You are just too cute TARA!!! Miss ya tons :)
By the way anonymous from your sista out in LA :)
I love this post!!! Obviously we share a love for our blankets. You are right, Tara and Tigger are a packaged deal.
I can't believe that I remember that couch that you and Shian are laying on in the picture. Wow, that brought back memories. Ü
i kept my baby blanket until it was about a 2-inch square. then it was time to let go :)
Thanks so much for coming to visit us the other day - you guys always make us laugh...and Link enjoyed his nap on you. :) (With my broadband internet, I'm now offically back into the "blogging world"...so get ready!) :)
My mom said mine is going to unravel soon. She keeps telling me to try and make another. I honestly don't know what I will do. I can't sleep with out my dee dee.
I love that me and Camey's blankets are both named DeeDee and that they are both the same colors. What a coincidence :)
I have the most saddest news to tell you. DeeDee got her biggest hole yet this week. Some of the little yarns finally gave way. I cried when I saw it. And I am officially making a little silky pillow case to keep her in under my pillow. She is just too delicate. :(
I think you have inspired me to make a post about my blanket. I too have a love for my dear little blankie. And Robyn, I am so sad to hear that Dee Dee is dying. Mine is pretty much dead, and retired in the cedar chest. (But my Mom made me a new one that I rub now, and it is already looking pretty shabby.)
I too still have my baby blanket, although it is packed up in a box at my parents house in California. But one day we will be reunited again. Until that time comes, mine and Brian's childhood stuffed animals are proudly displayed in our bedroom.
That is precious tara! You were such a cute little girl! (and now you're a hot woman!) Sorry about sunday- I suck :(
That is so cool that you still have your baby blanket. I think mine is still laying around my moms house but I was never attached to it. You are so stinkin cute
Post a Comment