
I wanted to pay tribute to my Grandpa Roberts (my mom's dad). He passed away on Wednesday. He was a veteran of World War II (he was a Gunner in the Navy) and was in both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans because for a while he was "on loan" to the British Army.
After the war he worked for 37 years for United Airlines so he and my Grandma always had free flights. They did so much traveling. They've been to about a billion countries all over the world. He told me, once, that his favorite places were in Africa, along the Western coast (although, now that I think about it, I think he went there while in the Navy). I know my Mom got to go to Egypt when she was still living at home. And Hawaii. And probably a bunch of places I don't know about.
I remember that he really liked working in the yard. He had a riding lawnmower (the first I'd seen) that I thought was so cool. I would always go and sit on it when he wasn't using it and pretend I was driving. He would mow, not only his lawn, but his neighbors as well, every week. I always thought it was so nice of him to do that because they have pretty big yards.
He wasn't a very touchy-feely person and I would always get a small smile whenever I saw him because, no matter what, I always gave him a really big hug. It was fun to tease him like that. I'll miss him.
Bye, Grandpa. I love you.

10 comments:
what a nice tribute Tara!! We missed you this weekend- I hope you guys had fun on the river!
That was really cute Tara. I hope that you and your family are doing well.
So sweet Tara. Will you be there on Wednesday or do you have to be on the road?
P.S. David Cook really isn't smug. I think he has been the least smug of them all. I am pretty picky on that too.
I am so sorry to hear about your grandpa. That was so sweet to pay tribute to him like that. It sounds like he was a wonderful man. Have a good week and see you this weekend
I am so sorry for you and your family's loss. I hope everyone is doing well. That was a very nice tribute too. Have a good day! :o)
That was really nice. I always liked Grandpa's face and body language when you hugged him. Did Shian email you all those pictures of grandma and grandpa?
I wanted to let you know we are inviting you and the family to come up on Sunday the 8th to our home. I will be induced this Sunday, but we wanted week to kind of get in the grove of things first. Hope to see you there!
Oh Tara, I'm sorry you lost your grandpa :(
It's so good though to write down memories of him now. What a nice tribute.
Hey whats going on for Saturday???? I don't know many details really at all, jed told me a little bit about it, but i know its in 3 days!!!! Call me asap! I don't have your number, mine is 5482751
love this post tara. what a nice way to honor him. the pictures are awesome.
Post a Comment