Tuesday, March 29, 2011
Following a Prompting
As I've mentioned in the past, my sister Shian and her husband Tom are hoping to adopt a baby. They've been patiently waiting for a year and a half. To help the process along, Shian made some pass-a-long cards to hand out. It has their blog address http://tomandshianadopt.blogspot.com/ as well as ways to contact them. I've been trying to do my part recently by handing these out to some of the people we have come to know in North Carolina through our work. On Friday, we were stopping in York, NE to fuel. When I was getting ready to go inside I had the random thought to take a card in to the person at the counter even though I don't "know" them in York like I know the people in NC. I grabbed a card but when I got inside and was waiting in line it was an old man behind the counter. I couldn't bring myself to give him the card so I went to the restroom and left it in there next to a vase of (fake) flowers. When I came out I had to wait in line again at the fuel desk. I noticed there was now a young girl behind the counter. I thought "I should go get the card from the bathroom and give it to her". Then I thought "no, that's stupid." I didn't want to walk all the way back there. So I didn't. As I was about to leave, I hesitated in the door. I stopped, looked at the girl, turned around, turned back to her and then chickened out because I didn't want to look stupid. But when I got outside I still had the feeling I should give her a card. So, I told Chris what I was doing, grabbed another card and went back inside where I waited in line for the third time. This time I told her "I know this is really random, but I just had a feeling I should give you this card." I explained what it was and that Shian has been waiting for so long. I told her that if she knew anyone who wanted to give me a niece or nephew I would really appreciate it. Then I said, again, that I know it was weird but I just felt like I should give it to her. She replied that she actually has two friends who are pregnant. She wasn't sure if they were planning on keeping their babies or not but said she would talk to them and find out. I told her that we would be so happy if she would and just to keep my sister in mind. Then, I left and called Shian to tell her about it. Now, I have no idea if a baby will come of this but I do know that my testimony was strengthened because of it. I've always had a hard time discerning when the Spirit is trying to tell me something. This time, I felt it, followed it and had the exciting moment of realizing I did the right thing which I know doesn't always happen. It was so wonderful for me to have that confirmation that the Holy Ghost was telling me to give her a pass-a-long card. Woohoo for promptings! When I told Shian, she was happy, of course but as always, her goodness shone through. She said that even if this didn't bring her a baby, maybe it would result in these two girls thinking about their decisions and perhaps someone else who is waiting will get a baby. How amazing is that? Shian has such faith that somewhere out there is the perfect child for their family. Now who wouldn't want to give her a sweet little angel? Please, if you know ANYONE who might be willing to give me a niece or nephew have them check out Shian and Tom at itsaboutlove.org
http://tomandshianadopt.blogspot.com
https://www.itsaboutlove.org/ial/profiles/23243195/ourMessage.jsf
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
I love you for sharing this story.
faith building story!!! thanks for sharing!!!
~lisa
Tara, you are awesome. I love you.
You're the best! I should hire you to do an ad campaign :)
Good job following the spirit! I have a hard time determining if it's the spirit sometimes too. I try to remind myself of what Sister Kimball used to say, "Never suppress a generous thought." That makes it easier for me to just do it and not worry so much if it's from the spirit or just me (I wonder if those ever are unprompted by the spirit though).
Love you!
I just love you Tara. Thanks for a great story and reminder to listen to the spirit. You are so uplifting and it's not everyday that you find friends like that! XOXOXO
Oh what a neat experience. I have never had anything like that either. Way to go Tara. Shian is amazing and I sure do hope it does result in something because you know what? They have been waiting/trying for even longer than that!
Tara you are so amazing! I love how big your heart is! xoxo
Post a Comment