Saturday, October 3, 2009

A Repeat of My Husbands One and Only Post

Chris has left for the yearly elk hunt with my dad. This time, my brother-in-law Tom is going with them. I decided that I would post what Chris wrote about his last elk hunting/camping trip. It just cracks me up. Ü


Yes, I am NOT big into this whole blogging thing. Not that I have anything against it. I just prefer more masculine things, like sports, Halo, and sorting my Barbie Collection. (Don't laugh, accessorizing can be fun) Last weekend I went elk hunting with my father-in-law up in the Uintas. (a big sacrifice since Barbie's Fall line came out Friday) Before I tell my story though, let me preface it with mentioning that Tara has two sisters, both married. Us three sons-in-law have a little fun among ourselves competing for spots 1,2, and 3 with our new parents. I tend to have a little more fun with it because winning is enjoyable. (sorry Gordan and Tom) The elk camp is 21 miles north of Vernal in the middle of nowhere at 9200 ft. elevation. I would give directions, but you would never find it, even the elk as far as I can tell haven't found this spot yet. For that matter, neither have our wives which makes it a perfect spot for us guys to go, camp, eat lots of junk food, burn stuff, play with 4 wheelers and guns, hike, sit in hunting blinds all day, and test the response time for rescue helicopter airlifts. (sorry Dad) Vernal in the background on the NICE part of the road

Parking spot before transferring to 4 wheelers

Dad getting ready to head out in the morning

Basically you go to Vernal, turn north, go until the pavement ends, keep going, keep going, keep going, park the jeep, move to 4 wheeler, go until the trail becomes impassable, keep going, keep going, go through the stream a few times, up the mud hill (hopefully it will be frozen enough) and then just past the monument to all those who have died during this same trek, is the main camp. Oh and wear bright orange because there are a few inexperienced hunters who may shoot anything that moves. Because of work, I can only go up for the weekend. Dad meets me at the jeep with a 4 wheeler and takes me in. I have to ride on the back with my gear, but last year it wasn't so bad because dad brought a full size Laz-E-Boy strapped to the rack of the 4 wheeler for me to ride in comfort in. This year he pulls up and strapped to the rack on the back was a flimsy 1/4 inch thick piece of.....well I guess you call it padding. Since the trail is nothing but holes and rocks I looked a little anxious. Dad, upon seeing my doubt, got a big smile on his face and said, "hop on number three!!!!" This was going to be a long weekend. I arrived in camp feeling like I had just completed the Tour de France on a bicycle with a wooden seat. Elk Camp, home sweet home.

I think Dad traded in that Laz-E-Boy for a new tent with a stove. As sore as I was, it was a good trade. The next few days were a blast. We sat in blinds and hiked. View out the blind

Hiking/Tracking Elk

I had seen some moose that were hanging around the area, but had heard there was a BIG bull moose too. Anyone that knows Tara knows how she LOVES moose. I was hoping to get a picture of this "BIG bull moose" but wasn't having any luck finding him. It is kind of a big mountain range. I did find the calf and younger bull. But I wanted a trophy shot. Little bull with calf in the creek

On Sunday, near the end of my day, I got my chance. Uncle Tony came to camp and told us he had just seen the BIG BULL along with the cow and calf up on the ridge. Dad and I took off to see if we could find them. The brush was thick and it was hard to see anything. (If you are trying to take wildlife pictures in heavy brush it really can suck because your camera wants to focus on the myriad levels of brush between you and the animal rather than the animal. My camera did survive though and has since forgiven me for the unkind words directed towards it.) After a while I didn't think we would find the BIG BULL, but then through the brush I saw.... The BIG BULL

Now, I admit, I was excited. This Bull was MASSIVE!! The rack seemed almost 50 inches across and he stood over 6 maybe 7 feet. This was a big Bull. The tightrope I had to walk was trying to get a good picture in heavy brush, while at the same time keeping enough heavy brush between us to give me a fighting chance should he charge. This task was even harder given that the mamma moose was also there with her calf. Cow and Calf

While Daddy Moose got bored and started to chew bark, Mamma was not too happy with our company. Bull Moose chewing bark

I wanted my shot. I wanted a good clear shot of BIG DADDY BULL MOOSE, but he didn't seem to care about posing for me. This is why I like my Barbies. I got a few decent shots, but again my #%$@% camera thought that perhaps I would prefer the lovely tree branches rather than some silly moose so the focus is a little off. Nice ___! Yeah, he must work out. (Dumb and Dumber reference for all you females out there.)

If only it would focus on the big massive 7ft 2000 lbs animal in the center of the shot. But at least we can see the ultra rare "stick branch" in crisp 10 megapixel focus.

After about 40 pictures and 2 videos I was ready to go. I put the lens cover on my camera and Dad holstered his .457 elephant killer gun (see video of Robyn shooting at end of blog...hilarious stuff!!!) I was so touched that Dad was concerned for his number one son-in-law's safety that he was prepared to kill such a majestic creature if it charged. He informed me that since it is NOT moose season he would only be allowed to shoot in self defense, no clause provided for defense of number three son-in-law. I am glad I stayed in the brush. Well that was my weekend. I included some of my favorite pictures that I took here at the end. Unfortunately I didn't take near as many as I would have liked, but on the elk hunt you would look more manly whipping out a Malibu Barbie in full beach gear, than a camera. (Unless the camera is in the form of a scope attached to a rifle) Trust me I know. Anyways, thanks Dad for taking me on the hunt again this year. I look forward to next year, I will bring my own Laz-E-Boy this time. P.S. Can you check in your truck, I can't find Pocahontas Barbie anywhere!!!! :) Coming home through Heber I saw the most awesome clouds cutting across the Wasatch Front
Christmas time is coming

This is NOT what I mean by a rough trail. This is smooth as glass comparably. But it's a cool picture.

If you don't think this is a beautiful picture than you have never camped in the Uintas at 9200 ft in October where any liquid in your tent is ice in the morning and your sleeping bag has ice on it where you were breathing. Trust me, this stove was the most beautiful thing I saw the whole time!!!!! (And no we didn't leave a scrap of trash at camp when we left. I am an Eagle Scout remember.


This is the funniest thing I have seen. Feel free to post comments and share your thoughts on the Elk Hunt, my photography skills, Robyn's shooting skills, and Barbie's Fall Fashion Line.

4 comments:

Deliliah said...

Thanks for posting that again. I laughed just as hard this year as I did last year. I can't wait to hear the report from this years hunt.

dave + kirst said...

Chris...Dave was right about you and your feminine traits. I finally believe him after reading all that talk about barbies.

Welcome! said...

Cool Pics!

MARCIE said...

Hey, did you get my e-mail about Saturday? Write me, Krikenson@yahoo.com