On July 18th and 19th Chris and I were able to take our nephew Scot camping for the first time. It was so much fun. We picked him up and headed to our new favorite spot in the Wasatch National Forest. We stopped to get some sandwiches (the wait was very long but they were worth it) and got up there around three. The spot where we had stayed for our anniversary was taken so we found a new spot that didn't have as much shade but was on the top of a rise so we had some good views. Scot was very helpful in setting up camp and helping us make our woodpiles.
Next, Chris and Scot put together some model cars that they had brought. It was cute to see them working so intensely in the middle of the woods. Ü
Later that afternoon we went for a short drive to see some wildlife and pretty sights. We saw several deer but no moose this trip. We did find a beautiful waterfall though.
We also stopped by a small pond we saw. Scot was standing on a log that was almost floating in the water but at some point he lost his balance and one foot went in. However, he had some fast reflexes because his foot was hardly wet, at all.
Once the sun went down he got a little more hesitant. He still did really well though. Earlier in the day we had set up some bear bells and trip wires to make sure bears wouldn't try to eat our food and I think that reassured him some. We had also given him his own pocket knife and a whistle to wear around his neck, just in case. Ü We had fire roasted hot dogs for dinner and s'mores for dessert. Yum. They were fantastic. Then we sat around the fire and looked at the stars. They were so amazing. We stepped away from the light and tried to see some satellites but had no luck. While we were out there looking, Scot was a little more nervous. Chris and I tried to reassure him but in very different ways. My approach was to stay pretty close and talk alot so that he wouldn't feel alone. Chris's way was to ignore the "scariness" so that he would realize that it was no big deal and nothing to be scared of. I'm not sure but I think Scot liked my way better.
Once we got into our tent, though, he was fine. He slept on his own air mattress a little space apart from us and fell asleep pretty quick. We did give him one of those glow-in-the-dark sticks that you see at concerts and stuff. He really liked that. He slept great and luckily it wasn't too cold that night.
The next morning we had pancakes and bacon for breakfast (again cooked over the coals, no camp stove required) along with hot chocolate and s'more s'mores. Excellent way to start the day.
Scot whittled some wood and we did a small amount of hiking but soon packed up camp and came home. Through it all, Scot was so helpful. He was our little Wilderness Explorer/camp slave. It was awesome. We were so happy to have him come with us and can't wait for our next camping trip. Ü We love you, Scot.

6 comments:
That is so cute that you guys got to take him on his first camping trip. It looks like you guys had lots of fun. Now I find myself craving smores....Mmmmmm... Have you ever tried them with peanut butter? SO GOOD.
You're so cool. I wanna be your niece so I can have an outing with you two. :)
I'm glad it turned out well and that he had fun for his first time camping. You two are so nice to do these kind of things for them.
That is so fun of you! This place looks so gorgeous! I want to go there. You are sweet to do that with him!
I think you guys must be the coolest aunt and uncle EVER!!! Sounds like tons of fun. In the last picutre I just glanced at it and thought it was a bear coming to get Scot. Glad to see it wasn't a bear. :)
So Fun!! You guys are the coolest/sweetest/funnest people ever. Scotland is lucky to have you as an aunt/uncle. And not to be totally cheesy, but we're lucky to have you as friends ;)
Post a Comment