Monday, March 9, 2009

Stop HBO From Showing LDS Temple Ceremonies

Many of you may have heard of HBO's television show, Big Love. It came out a couple of years ago, and it shows polygamous families. When it first came out, the church came out with a strong statement against Big Love and Polygamy. You can see the statement here:

http://www.newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/commentary/church-responds-to-questions-on-hbo-s-big-love

However, as if the polygamy weren't bad enough, HBO has taken their unscrupulousness to new heights.
On Sunday, March 15, 2009, HBO will be airing a segment of their Big Love series titled Goin' to the Chapel. In this segment, they will be showing individuals dressed in full temple clothing (you can see the picture right in the TV guide itself), and they are planning on sending secret cameras in to the temple to show the inside of the temple itself.
You can see the advertisement here (on page 46 or 48):

http://www.tvguidemagsales.com/WeeklyIssues/TVG030909.pdf

Please help stop HBO from airing such an offensive show! You can go to the link below to submit a comment to HBO.

http://www.hbo.com/apps/submitinfo/contactus/submit.do?title=GeneralInformation&questiontype=generalInformation&questiontype=general

It's imperative that we get as many people to voice their complaints as possible before HBO airs the show. Please pass this information on to as many people as you can!

If you are not a member of the LDS church, we invite you to learn about our church and our temples from a true source: www.mormon.org.

"Who shall ascend into the hill of the Lord? Or who shall stand in his holy place? He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart" --Psalm 24: 3-4


I am so upset about this that I really felt I needed to share this news with everyone I know. I strongly urge you all to go to the HBO website and send them a message that we find what they're doing absolutely offensive.

This is what I told them:

I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and I am extremely offended by your decision to show a sacred part of my religion on your show Big Love. I honestly don't know what else to type, I am so upset by this. I think it's a terrible thing that you would hire an "ex-mormon" to tell you about our sacred rites with the intention of having them aired for your audience. I can't imagine you would do something so callous to any other faith but ours. Shame on you for making light of something I and millions of others hold so dear.

11 comments:

Marianne said...

This makes me so mad. :(

Jennie said...

This is just disgusting. It makes my heart hurt. I hope you don't mind, I forwarded your post to everyone I could think of :) Down with HBO!

Rachel said...

I am going to boycott HBO. It's too bad we can't buy cable stations individually. I would drop it like it was hot.

Amy said...

Thanks for all of the links - this is the first I'd heard of it, so I appreciate having everything together so I can share my thoughts with them too! Ew. Ew ew ew.

PS No worries on the fire thing - we actually went and thought it was really great, and ZERO pressure. So, we figured "free dinner with friends, can't hurt."

Didn't see you in church yesterday, I hope you were out doing something fun. :)

Gordon and Robyn said...

I left a message on the link. And I'm forwarding it. Thank you letting me know about this hideous act!

But in spite of how sickening and evil and argh! (and we need not lay down and take it) don't forget what Joseph Smith told us. "...the Standard of Truth has been erected; no unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing; persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble, CALUMNY MAY DEFAME, but the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly, and independent...till the purposes of God shall be accomplished, and the Great Jehovah shall say the work is done.”

What I'm saying (maybe words of encouragement more to myself, perhaps you already feel this way) is God knew this would happen. We just need to build our homes more on the "rock" and get entirely off the "sand!" Aren't you so glad you don't have cable?!! Me too! More people should boycott it, then maybe they would listen a little better.

I love you!

Michelle said...

That makes me so mad. I can't believe people will stoop that low.

Anonymous said...

Here is the link to the TV guide about the episode.

http://www.salamandersociety.com/temple/

Anonymous said...

http://tinyurl. com/afsgnm


Hey All,
I sent out the email yesterday so that we'd all be aware of what was going on, and potentially as a call to action. This morning I got an email from a friend in Church Public Affairs counseling that the best action is to do nothing. Any fuss we raise will only stir up controversy, get more people to watch it, and raise the show's ratings. As I understand it, the show is scheduled to be canceled at the end of this season anyway.

Deliliah said...

Jill at work told me. She said their was a statement on the churchs website regarding the show. It basically said what JD said, to ignore it. I am glad that you were upset about it. I am to.

lil megan said...

You go girl, thanks for standing up for yourself and for me as well as the many others that we all know are thinking the same thing.
Thanks for the cute comment, as for praying about Chris, you can try but I think it might just be a hopeless cause. j/k. But it did make me laugh when he said it. We need to get together again. love ya.

Camey said...

I forwarded this e-mail to everyone and on facebook was telling people to take stand against it. It made me sick. My statement didn't sound near as good as yours did though. it really bothers me and I cna't believe it. My mom said during conference there is supposed to be a huge gay riot and such. It is sad to see things like this happening!